Monday, July 21, 2008

I Saw Claude Grace the Bridge!!



I thought it would never happen, it was 2003 when we pulled off the signing of the decade. When we signed Makelele, the man who made Zidane and 2 times Champions League winners Real Madrid tick.

It bought a smile to my face and more than any signing that summer (except maybe Crespo) made me feel like permanently shifting base to London, just for watching this man play.

There is something about defending which enthralls me. The pure simplicity and refinement that defines a good defensive player gives me a fuzzy feeling. And when you add the class and graft of a Maka, then well…. pure ecstasy (makes sex look primitive)!!


Maka was one of a kind; his sense of discipline and his reading of space were perfect.Sure he took one season to get in the groove, but once he did we were unbeatable.He was a modern day version of Beckenbauer and someone whose influence in our title winning seasons was 2nd to none.


A lot has been written about Claude and his playing style.
So I will just mention this one instance that for me defines Claude Makelele.

Most Chelsea fans remember Maka’s goal against Charlton or Sp*rs.
But for me it was this one time when we played Everton and Andy Johnson managed to stay onside and break away towards goal. Maka as usual saw him and followed him; he had no chance of catching a striker known for his pace. So, what Maka does do? He just jumps on Johnson and completely puts him off balance. Somehow avoiding the referee’s eye, in a way only he can. But the ref still spots him and gives a free kick. Maka picks himself up and shows his sparkling 32. Everyone (even Graham Poll) knew it was a red card offense, but the ref lets him off with a yellow. Maka was probably lucky, but he will tell you that we kept a clean sheet.


I wish that Claude would have stayed and ended his career here.
But you don’t get everything in life,
But still
I Saw Claude Grace the Bridge!!

A Chelsea Legend!!

Carefree!!

No comments: